Vue depuis l'entrée du villageView from the entrance of the village, the fortified church and the 14th century dungeon


Saint-Laurent-des-Arbres is a city steeped in history and a medieval village located on the right bank of the river "Rhône" surrounded by the famous "Côtes du Rhone" and "Lirac" vineyards, in contact with Provence and Languedoc. Its two rectangular towers and its fortified church give it a fortress appearance from the fourteenth century onwards.

The fortified church (XII-XIV)

Eglise vue surélevée

Raised under the term of martyr Saint Laurent, it belonged in the Xth century to a civil Lord who made a gift of it to the bishop of Avignon in 919.

Formerly located in an enclave of an old diocese of Avignon, the romanesque church traditionally built in Latin cross shape received a defensive apparatus in the XIVth centrury and that history allots to the bishop Jacques Deuze, future pope Jean XXII (1316-1334).

Typically of romanesque provencal style this church was listed as an historical monument in 1892. Nowadays, it is an exceptional break on the South religious romanesque routes.


The "Jacques Deuze" Tower (XII-XIV)

Donjon église

This tower with its ancient aspect and its beautiful architecture is worth being a listed monument.

It is proudly erected in the center of the village with a XIIth century ground-floor and the higher levels were rebuilt at the beginning of the XIVth century, in the Jacques Deuze's time.

A covered way encircled the top level allowing a panoramic surveillance. The Northern part has preserved its original state.


The "Ribas" Tower (XI)

Tour Ribas place du saint

Close to the feudal keep stands the romanesque "Ribas Tower" shaded by two secular cedars.

Today an information and reception office, the tower shelters a remarkable model representing the village as it was in the Middle Ages. Carried out from an old land register this reproduction allows each visitor to imagine and understand the former arrangement of the village.

The ancient walls, the moat and the two gates with drawbridges have partially disappeared because of successive installations but still remain visible in some places.

In the tower one can distinguish old painting traces on the walls.The first floor, a beautiful romanesque space is now used as an exhibition room during the high season.


The old laundry

Le lavoir vu du fond 

Located below the village, it was built in 1866 during the Second Empire, the mayor of that time was Alexis Martin.

It is a public wash house, established over the water, on the edge of "ruisseau des Rats" ("Rats stream").

It measures 14m x 2.50 m and divided into two unequal parts with a total capacity of 21 000 liters.

A beautiful frame supporting the roof with four slopes covered with Provencal tiles. The new lighting highlights this beautiful building.